Monday, May 18, 2009

Upper Clackamas Whitewater Festival

The Upper Clackamas Whitewater Festival is a great event for anyone who likes being on the water. With many events to choose from, I was set out to compete in the all of the hard shell kayak events. The day started out with the hard shell playboat mass start. Unfortunately there wasn't a huge turn out for the mass start but it was still rowdy. Starting out with trying to negotiate through the holes, it ended up with trying to avoid swimmers. Next was the kayak relay, which wasn't a very popular event. My brother and I found a two other people who wanted to be on our team and competing against only one other team we won. It was a fun race and I was ready to get practicing on the big air ramp. The ramp was huge and water levels were low so it was gonna be BIG. Stepping it up this year, the engineers of the ramp made it longer, steeper, and made the lip steeper as well. After a few practice runs it was on to the competition. Competitors had two attempts to go as big, and do the coolest trick as possible. Neither my brother or I placed but it was a fun event to compete in and watch. I'm looking forward to next years festival and hope to compete in sundays competitions next year as well.