Saturday, July 11, 2009

4th of July Weekend Huck

Last weekend I set out with my brother Todd and Nate and Heather Herbeck for a mission to Lower Falls on the Lewis river. It was the perfect 4th of July huck, with warm weather and not a cloud in the sky. I was a little nervous going going up to this falls because the one time that I ran this drop before I didn't quite stick my line...
My line last year


About a year ago my brother and I were swimming around the falls and thought that it would be a fun drop to kayak over. That's when we had never run anything bigger than Husum falls and barely new what a "boof stroke" was. We both fired it up the next weekend luckily with no injuries. My brother had a sick line and as you can see I got a little barrel roll going on but ended up with nothing but an imploded skirt.
This year I was confident that I would have a stout line and end up a lot better off than last year. After we got saftey and media all set up my brother ran the drop with a pretty good line. I was up next and had a perfect line off the 35-40ft. drop.

A much better line this year

I did hit my head on a rock at the bottom but I think that it was when I was resurfacing that I clipped the right wall with my helmet. I came up ok and was stoked about my line. After that we had a couple victory jumps off the cliffs surounding the waterfall which was really fun and a great end to the day.
Left to right- Heather, Myself, and Todd